As per the International Standards of Practice for Performing a General Home Inspection set by the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors, B to B Home Inspections will inspect the home’s insulation and ventilation abiding by the following:
Ed Lawton, the inspector at B to B Home Inspections, shall inspect the following insulation and ventilation components. At the time of this part of the inspection, the inspector will inspect:
- insulation in unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas;
- ventilation of unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas; and
- mechanical exhaust systems in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry area.
The inspector shall describe the type of insulation observed and the approximate average depth of insulation observed at the unfinished attic floor area or roof structure.
The inspector shall report as in need of correction the general absence of insulation or ventilation in unfinished spaces.
Please note, the inspector is not required to:
- enter the attic or any unfinished spaces that are not readily accessible, or where entry could cause damage or, in the inspector’s opinion, pose a safety hazard.
- move, touch or disturb insulation.
- move, touch or disturb vapor retarders.
- break or otherwise damage the surface finish or weather seal on or around access panels or covers.
- identify the composition or R-value of insulation material.
- activate thermostatically operated fans.
- determine the types of materials used in insulation or wrapping of pipes, ducts, jackets, boilers or wiring.
- determine the adequacy of ventilation.
As per NJ State Standards
When conducting the inspection of insulation components and ventilation system of a residential building, the home inspector shall:
i. Insulation in unfinished spaces without disturbing insulation;
ii. Ventilation of attics and crawlspaces;
iii. Mechanical ventilation systems.
i. Insulation in unfinished spaces adjacent to heated areas;
ii. Evidence of inadequate attic and crawlspace ventilation.
“International Standards of Practice for Performing a General Home Inspection.” InterNACHI. N.p., June 2013. Web. 07 June 2016.
“13:40-15.16 STANDARDS OF PRACTICE.” NEW JERSEY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE: HOME INSPECTION ADVISORY COMMITTEE: Home Inspection Advisory Committee (n.d.): n. pag. NJ Consumer Affairs. 20 Apr. 2015. Web.